Head of IT
Bywaters has been providing waste management services to the UK’s capital, in one form or another, for over 100 years. Developing from humble beginnings into London’s premier recycling and waste management company. Bywaters started life at the end of the First World War as one man operating from a horse and cart in North London. Today they employ over 350 people and serve over 3000 thousand businesses across the capital. Bywaters now provides a comprehensive range of tailor-made recycling and waste management services, offering thousands of businesses ‘zero to landfill’ waste solutions. We never stop driving forward, and are always investing in our operations and facilities to keep building on our proud history.
Responsible for teams, technology, vision, strategies, and policies, ERP, Business intelligence tools. Multiple projects EPR, CRM, Finance, BI, HR, Transports, Manufacturing and H&S.
- The first dedicated IT leader, directly managing 3 that grown to 7 over 3 years and over 20 outsourcing partners covering 2 sites with multiple IT functions.
- Created and implemented of strategies and policies (ITIL) for the next 5 years, lined to an £38m company to £80m.
- Replaced the legacy infrastructure with the first 4 months in order to support the new ERP (Storage, Sage Line 300 & 500, Netnapp, Vmware, Cisco, VOIP, mobile, cloud & exchange – server migrations (P2V and V2V) and applications virtualisation).
- Lead and implemented a new ERP as the pervious implementation of the legacy ERP failed within the first 6 months
- Designed and implemented BRAD using Pentaho – PDI – Business Intelligence & Data Engineering
- Designed and implement RIO H&S System.
- Maintained ISO 9001
BRAD – an industry first
Bywaters used Pentaho Business Analytics software to create the first and only application of its kind in the waste management industry called BRAD (Bywaters Reporting Analytics and Dashboards), which is comprised of fixed reports, flexible analytics reports and dashboards. BRAD extracts data from all of its different systems, cleanses it and integrates it into a single warehouse. Data is extracted from operational HR, CRM, Financial and ERP systems along with data from waste incineration plants and its materials recovery facility (where all the waste is sorted).
Case Study Pentaho Use BRAD
Bywaters provides waste and recycling services to customers in London and the Southeast including universities, waste authorities and large corporations. Bywaters aims to make it easy and affordable for its customers to dramatically improve their environmental performance and exceed what regulatory compliance dictates. Bywaters also sees a wider opportunity to benefit society by motivating organisations to manage waste and recycling more efficiently in order to meet a range of socioeconomic objectives.
— Pentaho (@Pentaho) March 5, 2014
Like most companies operating in regulated industries, Bywaters‘ culture had evolved into a highly process-driven one over the years. Although this can be a safe way to do business, it doesn’t lend itself to much innovation or going beyond what’s necessary. Concerned by this, the leadership team decided to move itself – and eventually its customers – to embrace a more data-driven culture in which people would gain the authority and confidence to make decisions more autonomously, backed up by sound, credible data.
To support the business change Bywaters needed to build an analytics infrastructure and reporting capabilities that staff and customers could trust completely. Due to the vast range of data involved with waste management, it would need to be able to manage relational data today and support advanced and big data analytics in the future.